Platelet-Rich Plasma (PRP) therapy uses injections of a concentration of a patient's own platelets to accelerate the healing of injured tendons, ligaments, muscles and joints. In this way, PRP injections use each individual patient's own healing system to improve musculoskeletal problems. The major benefits of PRP regenerative therapy are:
- Great for Unresponsive Injuries
- Has Better Long-Term Recovery
- Suitable for Most Tendons and some Joint issues
- Natural Anti-Inflammatory
- Is a Potent Signal to Activating Immune System
Dr. Trevor Turner is a non-surgical regenerative medicine specialist, and he has composed a list of PRP therapy resources to provider his patients with more educational information.
- Mishra AK, Skrepnik NV, Edwards SG, et al. Efficacy of platelet-rich plasma for chronic tennis elbow: A double-blind, prospective, multicenter, randomized controlled trial of 230 patients. Am J Sports Med 2014; 42:463-471
- Gosens T, Peerbooms JC, van Laar W, et al. Ongoing positive effect of platelet-rich plasma versus corticosteroid injection in lateral epicondylitis: A double-blind randomized controlled trial with 2-year follow-up. Am J Sports Med 2011; 39:1200-1208.
Podesta L, Crow SA, Volkmer D, et al. Treatment of partial ulnar collateral ligament tears in the elbow with platelet-rich plasma. Am J Sports Med 2013; 41:1689-1694.
- Krogh TP, Fredberg U, Stengaard-Pedersen K, et al. Treatment of lateral epicondylitis with platelet-rich plasma, glucocorticoid, or saline: A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Am J Sports Med 2013; 41:625-635.
Peerbooms JC, Sluimer J, Bruijn DJ, et al. Positive effect of an autologous platelet concentrate in lateral epicondylitis in a double-blind randomized controlled trial: Platelet-rich plasma versus corticosteroid injection with a 1-year follow-up. Am J Sports Med 2010; 38:255-262.
- Thanasas C, Papadimitriou G, Charalambidis C, et al. Platelet-rich plasma versus autologous whole blood for the treatment of chronic lateral elbow epicondylitis: A randomized controlled clinical trial. Am J Sports Med. 2011; 39:2130-2134.
Behera P, Dhillon M, Aggarwal S, et al. Leukocyte-poor platelet-rich plasma versus bupivacaine for recalcitrant lateral epicondylar tendinopathy. J Orthop Surg (Hong Kong) 2015; 23:6-10.
- Loibl M, Lang S, Dendl LM, et al. Leukocyte-reduced platelet-rich plasma treatment of basal thumb arthritis: A pilot study. Biomed Res Int 2016; 2016:9262909.
- Uzun H, Bitik O, Uzun Ö, et al. Platelet-rich plasma versus corticosteroid injections for carpal tunnel syndrome. J Plast SurgHand Surg 2016; 1-5.
- Tuakli-Wosornu YA, Terry A, Boachie-Adjei K, et al. Lumbar intradiskal platelet-rich plasma (PRP) injections: A prospective, double-blind, randomized controlled study. PM R 2016; 8:1-10.
- Wu J, Zhou J, Liu C, et al. A prospective study comparing platelet-rich plasma and local anesthetic (la)/corticosteroid in intra-articular injection for the treatment of lumbar facet joint syndrome. Pain Pract 2016
- Redmond JM, Gupta A, Stake CE, et al. Clinical results of hip arthroscopy for labral tears: A comparison between intraoperative platelet-rich plasma and bupivacaine injection. Arthroscopy 2015; 31:445-453.
- Filardo G, Di Matteo B, Kon E, et al. Platelet-rich plasma in tendon-related disorders: Results and indications. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc 2016
- Jacobson JA, Yablon CM, Henning PT, et al. Greater trochanteric pain syndrome: Percutaneous tendon fenestration versus platelet-rich plasma injection for treatment of gluteal tendinosis. J Ultrasound Med 2016; 35:2413-2420.
- Fitzpatrick J, Bulsara M, Zheng MH. The effectiveness of platelet-rich plasma in the treatment of tendinopathy. Am J Sports Med 2017; 45:226-233.
- Dallari D, Stagni C, Rani N, et al. Ultrasound-guided injection of platelet-rich plasma and hyaluronic acid, separately and in combination, for hip osteoarthritis: A randomized controlled study. Am J Sports Med. 2016; 44:664-671.
- Battaglia M, Guaraldi F, Vannini F, et al. Efficacy of ultrasound-guided intra-articular injections of platelet-rich plasma versus hyaluronic acid for hip osteoarthritis. Orthopedics 2013; 36:e1501-e1508.
- Di Sante L, Villani C, Santilli V, et al. Intra-articular hyaluronic acid vs platelet-rich plasma in the treatment of hip osteoarthritis. Med Ultrason 2016; 18:463-468.
- Urzen JM, Fullerton BD. Nonsurgical resolution of a bucket handle meniscal tear: A case report. PM R 2016; 8:1115-1118.
- Pujol N, Salle De Chou E, Boisrenoult P, et al. Platelet-rich plasma for open meniscal repair in young patients: Any benefit? Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthroscopy 2015; 23:51-58.
- Seijas R, Ares O, Cuscó X, et al. Partial anterior cruciate ligament tears treated with intraligamentary plasma rich in growth factors. World J Orthop 2014; 5:373-378.
- Griffin JW, Hadeed MM, Werner BC, et al. Platelet-rich plasma in meniscal repair: Does augmentation improve surgical outcomes? Clin Orthop Relat Res 2015; 473:1665-1672.
- Gosens T, Den Oudsten BL, Fievez E, et al. Pain and activity levels before and after platelet-rich plasma injection treatment of patellar tendinopathy: A prospective cohort study and the influence of previous treatments. Int Orthop 2012; 36:1941-1946.
- Riboh JC, Saltzman BM, Yanke AB, et al. Effect of leukocyte concentration on the efficacy of platelet-rich plasma in the treatment of knee osteoarthritis. Am J Sports Med 2016; 44:792-800.
- Xu Z, Luo J, Huang X, Wang B, et al. Efficacy of platelet-rich plasma in pain and self-report function in knee osteoarthritis: A best-evidence synthesis. Am J Phys Med Rehabil 2017
- Sadoghi P, Rosso C, Valderrabano V, et al. The role of platelets in the treatment of Achilles tendon injuries. J Orthop Res 2013; 31:111-118.
- Fukawa T, Yamaguchi S, Akatsu Y, et al. Safety and efficacy of intra-articular injection of platelet-rich plasma in patients with ankle osteoarthritis. Foot Ankle Int 2017; 38:596-604.
- Repetto I, Biti B, Cerruti P, et al. Conservative treatment of ankle osteoarthritis: Can platelet-rich plasma effectively postpone surgery? J Foot Ankle Surg 2017; 56:362-365.
- Mei-Dan O, Carmont MR, Laver L, et al. Platelet-rich plasma or hyaluronate in the management of osteochondral lesions of the talus. Am J Sports Med 2012; 40:534-541.
- Kuffler DP. Platelet-rich plasma and the elimination of neuropathic pain. Mol Neurobiol 2013; 48:315-332.
- Kuffler DP. Platelet-rich plasma promotes axon regeneration, wound healing, and pain reduction: Fact or fiction. Mol Neurobiol 2015; 52:990-1014.
- Kuffler DP, Reyes O, Sosa IJ, et al. Neurological recovery across a 12-cm-long ulnar nerve gap repaired 3.25 years post trauma: Case report. Neurosurgery 2011; 69:E1321-E1326.
- Podnar S, Omejec G, Bodor M. Nerve conduction velocity and cross-sectional area in ulnar neuropathy at the elbow. Muscle Nerve 2017 [Epub ahead of print].
If you’d like to learn more about stem cell therapy, reach out to Dr. Turner to discuss your questions and concerns. If you’re ready to find a minimally-invasive, long-term solution to your elbow pain, schedule your first appointment with us today.